Monday, May 13, 2013

Reaper

My first experience with Reaper outside of my fight with him was really not what I expected.  I knew he was an older guy, but seeing him outside of his "character" was...not pleasant.  I guess I never realized just how bad of shape he's actually in.

I didn't see him around the house at all, just because he rarely leaves his room. Since Last wanted me to talk to everyone, I decided to knock on his door and get it out of the way.

"What do you want?"

"It's Kenny. Last says that I'm supposed to speak to you?"

A pause, then a sigh.  "Come in."

When I walked in, the first thing I noticed was the oxygen tank and mask.  He had been dressed in a dark, billowing cloak when I fought him that hid the dimensions of his body some, but when he was dressed in a baggy t-shirt and pajama bottoms, I could tell just how gaunt he was.

He held up the oxygen mask and took a few breaths.  "So, obviously, I'm dying."

"I'm sorry," I said, stunned, "I didn't realize."

He let out one of his wheezing chuckles.  "Not as clever as I gave you credit for, then. I'm themed after the Dying Man? What did you expect?"

"I...guess I didn't know.  Um...I'm sorry I hit you in the stomach with my staff."

"Don't be. I'm not sorry I slashed your hand."

"Oh.  Um...okay?  So...can I ask what it is?"

"Cancer."  I glanced at his hair when he said it.  What I had mistaken for a full head of silvery hair when I had fought him in the dark, I could now see was a wig.  "You've talked to me now. I'll tell Last you completed your little assignment. Would you mind leaving me alone?"

I left after that.  When I spoke to Last about it, I brought up a question that I had had.  Reaper uses the Path of Black Leaves, and I've always been under the impression that it's not a healthy use of otherworldly realms.

"It's not," Last agreed, "and it's taking a toll on Reaper's body.  It's slowly killing him.  He knows this, and he does it anyway, figuring that as long as he's dying, he might as well be thorough about it."

"Wouldn't that kill him quicker? I thought he was afraid of death."

"Well yes, he is, but in reality, he's more afraid of dying, and he's already doing that every day."

So that only leaves Boston Black and Fang, the two I know the least about at this point.  I'll get that post up as soon as I can.  I'm starting to get anxious cooped up here and the weather is getting hotter and hotter, and Last refuses to leave and officially open the safehouse until I've gotten this taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment